GSA boys’ basketball team falls to Orono in Class C quarterfinal

first_imgGeorge Stevens Academy senior Kelsey Allen drives in for a layup in the Eastern Maine Class C basketball quarterfinal against Orono on Wednesday, Feb. 18, at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. PHOTO BY HUGH BOWDENBANGOR — The George Stevens Academy Eagles dug themselves into a hole in the early going of Wednesday’s Eastern Maine Class C basketball quarterfinal against the Orono Red Riots. That hole proved to be so deep the second-seeded Eagles never could quite climb out as they were upset 68-57 by the seventh-seeded Red Riots, ending their season with a 15-4 record.GSA led just once in the game — when senior guard Kelsey Allen put his own rebound back up and in to score the first two points of the game at the Cross Insurance Center.Orono quickly went on a 11-2 run, five of those points coming from sophomore forward Jake Koffman as the Red Riots forged a lead they never relinquished.The Eagles, who struggled with their shooting throughout the first period, put together their only sustained run of the game in the second period, after the Red Riots had opened up a 23-8 lead.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textSenior center Finn Davis-Batt got things started for GSA with a foul line jumper and junior center Nick Szwez hit two foul shots. Guard Taylor Schildroth followed with back-to-back baskets, sophomore guard Jarrod Chase and Davis-Batt then each knocked down a pair of free throws and Davis-Batt connected on another foul line jumper, leaving the Eagles trailing by a single point, 23-22.But that was a close as they would get.The Red Riots pushed the lead back up to six points on a pull-up jumper by Nick Desisto and a three-pointer by Tom Lucy before Schildroth hit a pair of free throws with no time on the clock to leave the Eagles trailing 28-24 at halftime.In the third period, GSA closed the gap to three points on a drive to the basket by Allen, but the quarter ended with the Red Riots in front 46-37.And in basketball, when a team is trailing with time running down, there’s little choice but to foul the opponent to stop the clock and hope that the ensuing free throws are off the mark.That wasn’t the case for Orono, and the Eagles could only watch as the Red Riots connected on 20 of 26 foul shots over the last eight minutes to seal the victory and advance to the semifinal round.Orono got balanced scoring with eight players contributing. Desisto and Jackson Coutts led the way with 15 points each, Damian Heeger followed with 11 and Kamron Hines chipped in with 10 as the Red Riots improved their record to 13-7.For the Eagles, Allen led the way with 21 points and Szwez and Schildroth finished with 10 points each.Click here for more photos of this game. Bio Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017 Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 Latest Postscenter_img Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017 Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *