New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday directed all his cabinet ministers to begin immediate implementation of seven-point action plan to combat high-level of air pollution during winters, sources said. He directed Health Minister Satyendar Jain to take immediate steps to begin the process of procuring ‘best quality’ N-95 anti-pollution masks, they said. The odd-even road rationing scheme will come into effect in the national capital from November 4 to 15. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderKejriwal had announced this last week among a slew of other measures to combat high-level of air pollution caused due to stubble burning in neighbouring states during winters. “There should be no compromise in the procurement of ‘best quality’ N-95 anti-pollution masks. Health of Dehiiites during the critical season will be given priority,” the sources quoted Kejriwal as saying in directive to Jain. On September 13, the chief minister had said his government would make large-scale procurement of around 50-60 lakh N-95 anti-pollution masks which would be distributed among the people in October before the spike in air pollution in next month due to parali burning. The seven-point action plan also includes mass mechanised sweeping and water sprinkling on roads, tree plantation, and special plans for 12 pollution hotspots in Delhi. The Delhi government would hold a mega laser show on the eve of Diwali and appeal to the people to follow the ban on bursting of crackers on the festival, Kejriwal had said.
Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose, right, defends as Philadelphia 76ers’ Michael Carter-Williams drives onto the lane in the first half of an NBA basketball game Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/H. Rumph JrPegged the worst team in the league, the Philadelphia 76ers are continuing to defy the odds by taking down the Chicago Bulls 107-104, at Wells Fargo Center on Saturday.Rookie Michael Carter-Williams led 76ers with 26 points and 10 assists. Evan Turner, who has netted 20 or more points in all three tilts this season, posted 20 for Philadelphia, which is 3-0 for the first time since the 2006-07 campaign.Spencer Hawes tallied 18 points and 11 rebounds in the triumph. Philadelphia has already defeated the Washington Wizards and two-time defending champion Miami Heat to rise to first place in the Atlantic Division.“We understand what everybody has said and written about us,” first-year coach Brett Brown said. “Our guys have put in the day-to-day stuff, which has always been our message. I’m lucky I’ve found a group that enjoys each other’s company and they enjoy playing together.”Carlos Boozer had 22 points and 10 boards for Chicago, which dropped to 1-2 in the young season, while Luol Deng added 20 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Derrick Rose registered 13 points and six assists, but was just 4-of-14 from the field against the team he tore his ACL against in the first round of the 2012 NBA playoffs.“I would blame tonight on me,” said Rose, who wore tape around his neck for the second straight game. “Turnovers, missed shots, miscommunication – I just couldn’t get in my groove.”After trailing by as many as 18 points in the second half, the Sixers took a 100-99 lead with 3:29 left when Carter-Williams, a former Syracuse star, picked up a loose ball and calmly laid it in. It was the Sixers’ first lead since 11-10.With 5.9 seconds left, Hawes made a jumper to put the Sixers ahead 107-104, and Deng missed a potentially game-tying 3-pointer on the other end.The 76ers will take on Stephon Curry and the Golden State Worriors Nov. 4, at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m.CT in the Oracle Arena.
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, June 16, 2016 – More restaurants will be taxed as a result of the amendment to the Hotel & Restaurant Tax being passed in the House of Assembly. While finer points were discussed in a committee meeting of Parliament on Wednesday; there was still no threshold revealed for the change to the law.It was explained that the TCI Cabinet will determine what earnings per year will set the bar on which restaurants must now apply an extra 12% tax to services; the monies are passed onto Government.Traditionally, this tax was leveled primarily at restaurants serving visitors to the country, now with the change to the law, smaller restaurant owners could become subject to the tax and it means the cost of meals to residents at so called down home eateries will be more expensive. The Hotel & Restaurant Tax earned $52.8 million last budget year for TCIG; the second highest revenue earner for Government. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Posted: October 25, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Authorities Thursday publicly identified a 20-year old woman fatally shot two weeks ago in front of a Point Loma Heights strip mall, allegedly by her boyfriend, who has remained at large since.Patrol officers responding to reports of gunfire found Octavia Williams of Phoenix, Arizona, mortally wounded in a parking lot in the 4000 block of West Point Loma Boulevard shortly after 11:30 p.m. Oct. 9, according to San Diego police.Medics took Williams to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.Homicide investigators believe that the victim’s boyfriend, 41-year- old Joe Bennette Conway, shot her over some type of disagreement before fleeing, Lt. Anthony Dupree said.Investigators have few leads on the whereabouts of Conway, who, according to police, may be driving a red four-door Chevrolet Cavalier with Arizona license plates.A warrant was issued for Conway’s arrest for murder. On October 30, 2018, Conway was located and arrested in Tempe Arizona with the help of the Phoenix Police Department. Conway isbeing held pending extradition for the murder of Williams. Suspect accused of killing Phoenix in fatal Point Loma shooting arrested October 25, 2018 Updated: 7:51 AM KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
WILMINGTON, MA — Here are the obituaries published on Wilmington Apple during the week of March 3, 2019:Lived In Wilmington At Time Of Passing:Carl W. Butler, Jr., 61Dr. Marie A. Chesnick, 63Marlene A. Cipriano-Pagliuca, 59Irene (Fishburne) Harris, 91Tracey A. (Ethier) Kliros, 49Paul MacDonald, 70Mabel Anne (Libby) Manning, 97Mary M. (Thompson) Nelson, 91Previously Lived In Wilmington:Joseph F. DeLucia, Jr., 73Dorothy A. (Doucette) Loder, 84Vincent “Jim” Parziale, 93Worked In/Volunteered In/Connected To Wilmington:John F. Meehan, 66Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 18, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 25, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of June 30, 2019)In “Obituaries”
Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Apple 16 Photos reading • Apple, facing protests, says it’ll pay #ShotOniPhone photo contest winners See It See it Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? $999 Paddle through 16 breathtaking and prize-winning underwater photos See It Netpicks: What’s on your favorite video streaming sites around the web.Movie Magic: The secrets behind the scenes of your favorite films and filmmakers. CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Tags Apple iPhone XS Share your voice $999 Best Buy Dear @Apple, this was #ShotOnIphone, but I’d rather not be #ExploitedByApple. You are a super-rich company. You should #paythephotographers. pic.twitter.com/IUObboK3GJ— David Hobby (@strobist) January 23, 2019 Sprint Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors $999 6 Apple Comments Mentioned Above Apple iPhone XS (64GB, space gray) Apple for years has publicized the creative possibilities of its smartphones with the #ShotOniPhone hashtag, here used on the company’s Instagram page. Screenshot by Stephen Shankland/CNET Facing complaints from photographers, Apple has changed its #ShotOniPhone photo contest to pay the 10 winners. Apple announced the iPhone photo contest this week, offering winners a chance to see their photos on billboards, in Apple stores and in other marketing efforts as Apple publicized the phones and the photos. Plenty of people have submitted entries on Twitter and Instagram, but others objected to the fact that Apple didn’t promise any sort of prize money. “Dear @Apple, this was #ShotOnIphone, but I’d rather not be #ExploitedByApple,” tweeted photographer David Hobby, showing a dramatic photo of a gull with wings outstretched. “You are a super-rich company. You should #paythephotographers.” Evidently Apple was persuaded by the viewpoint. “Apple believes strongly that artists should be compensated for their work,” the Apple contest announcement now reads. “Photographers who shoot the final 10 winning photos will receive a licensing fee for use of such photos on billboards and other Apple marketing channels.” See All Boost Mobile $999 Apple tries hard to promote its phones, tablets and PCs as superior tools for creative types, and it’s earned an impressively large and loyal customer base. But the prize-money fracas showed some of the limits to that enthusiasm. With a global stock-photo market and plenty of people willing to give their photos away for free, professional photographers face plenty of challenges making a living in the digital age. Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. • Preview • iPhone XS is the new $1,000 iPhone X See It Review • iPhone XS review, updated: A few luxury upgrades over the XR Mobile Photography Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it
2019 movies to geek out over The timing couldn’t be more perfect. As soon as this week, the Federal Trade Commission is expected to fine Facebook $5 billion for its alleged privacy mishaps. The documentary premiered at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year and gets its release as the 2020 presidential campaign kicks off. And, as if that weren’t enough, Robert Mueller, the former special counsel who investigated Russian interference in the 2016 US election, some of which happened on Facebook, will testify on Wednesday.Karim Amer (left) and Jehane Noujaim are directors of the Netflix documentary The Great Hack. David Becker/Getty Images for Netflix The two-hour film is about more than the downfall of a data analytics firm or its role in a history-making election. The Great Hack poses a simple question: Are we being manipulated by social media even as we willingly give tech companies our personal information?”It’s not about Democrat or Republican,” said Jehane Noujaim, who directed the film with Karim Amer, in an interview last week. “It’s about the future of our democracy and the future of our free will.” The Great Hack follows the scandal through the eyes of various participants, including Brittany Kaiser, a former business development director for Cambridge Analytica turned whistleblower. Kaiser was questioned by UK lawmakers and Mueller. Before joining Cambridge Analytica, she worked on Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. Throughout the film, Kaiser travels around the globe, making stops in Thailand, Britain and New York. The filmmakers ask Kaiser about the moral dilemmas she faced at Cambridge Analytica, illustrating her desire for redemption.”The most important thing for us was that her story was happening,” Amer said. “We don’t like to sit down and have things recounted to us.”Noujaim and Amer also follow David Carroll, an associate professor at New York’s Parsons School of Design, who engages in a quest to discover what data Cambridge Analytica gathered on him. The film features appearances from Carole Cadwalladr, an investigative journalism for the Guardian and Observer, who recounts how she uncovered the scandal, and Julian Wheatland, the former chief operating officer of Cambridge Analytica. Facebook 1 Share your voice Comment 77 Photos At one point during the film, Wheatland remarks that a data scandal like Cambridge Analytica was bound to happen. Technology is moving so fast and people don’t really understand it, he said. “There was always going to be a Cambridge Analytica,” Wheatland says in the film. “It just sucks for me it was Cambridge Analytica.”You’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting the filmmakers, who also helmed an Oscar-nominated documentary about the 2011 Egyptian revolution called The Square, to call for the deletion of Facebook. They’ve seen firsthand how social media, which was widely used to share information during the uprising, can be a force for change. Those events tempered their perspective.In 2011, a lawyer posted a photo of Noujaim to Twitter after she was arrested by Egyptian police in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, where she was documenting protests. The tweet helped Noujaim get legal representation that led to her release. The filmmakers are even using Facebook to promote the film. Still, Noujaim argues we can strike a balance by limiting the amount of personal information we share in return for those personal connections. Social media companies, she says, should see themselves as “public service companies” with ethical responsibilities. “I feel like it is a false choice that we have to trade in all of our privacy for connection to our friends,” Noujaim said.The Great Hack will be available to stream on Netflix starting Wednesday. The documentary will also be shown at select theaters. Politics Tech Industry Facebook’s Zuckerberg preaches ‘The future is private’ 2:50 Graphic by Pixabay/Illustration by CNET Cambridge Analytica, the UK political consultancy that worked on President Donald Trump’s campaign, has been a thorn in Facebook’s side since revelations last year that it had harvested the data of up to 87 million users without their consent.The scandal led to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s first testimony before Congress and sparked investigations in the UK, India and Brazil. Now the data privacy scandal that Facebook can’t shake is the subject of a new Netflix documentary, The Great Hack, that debuts on Wednesday. Tags Now playing: Watch this:
Moudud Ahmed and Khandaker Mosharraf HossainThe Supreme Court on Monday rejected the petitions of BNP leaders Moudud Ahmed and Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain seeking review of its verdict for continuing trial proceedings against them in two graft cases.A three-member Appellate Division bench, headed by chief justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, passed the order.With the apex court order, there is no bar to continue the trial proceedings of the cases filed by the Anti-Corruption Commission against them, said ACC lawyer M Khurshid Alam Khan.Advocate AJ Mohammad Ali argued for Moudud Ahmed while lawyer Moudud Ahmed led the hearing for Khandaker Mosharraf and Khurshid Alam Khan represented the ACC.On 16 September 2007, the ACC filed a case against Moudud with Gulshan police station on charge of amassing wealth of Tk 9.04 million from beyond known sources.The graft watchdog filed the other case against Mosharraf with Ramna police Station on 10 January 2008 for acquiring illegal wealth of Tk 120 million.Moudud and Mosharraf filed separate petitions to the High Court to repeal the cases after the ACC pressed charges against the two BNP leaders in 2008.In 2012, the High Court turned down their petitions to quash the trial proceedings.On 21 May 2014, the SC turned down the pleas of Moudud Ahmed and Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain to quash the trial proceedings against them in two graft cases.Later, the two BNP leaders filed the review petitions.
Road accident victim Russel Sarkar. File PhotoAppellate Division of the High Court on Sunday upheld a High Court order asking Green Line Paribahan to pay Tk five million to road accident victim Russel Sarkar, reports UNB.A four-member bench, led by chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, issued the order rejecting an appeal by the company seeking a stay on the High Court’s order.Car driver Russel, 23, lost his leg on 28 April 2018.A coach of Green Line Paribahan had hit his vehicle from behind on Mayor Mohammad Hanif Flyover in Dholaipar area in the capital on that day.He got down from the car and signaled the bus to stop but driver Kabir Hossain drove the bus over him and fled the scene.Russel’s left leg was amputated from the thigh down.Police detained Kabir and seized the bus from near the National Press Club.The High Court on 14 May last year asked Green Line Paribahan to explain within four weeks why Russel should not get Tk 10 million as compensation.On 12 March this year, the court ordered the company to pay Tk 5 million to Russel in two weeks as compensation and for his treatment.
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina. File PhotoPrime minister Sheikh Hasina has asked the law enforcement agencies to bring the perpetrators to the book and take stern actions against the killers of Sonagazi madrasah student Nusrat Jahan Rafi.“The prime minister directed the law enforcement agencies to expose the culprits who are involved in the killing of Nusrat to justice and take punitive action against them,” PM’s press secretary Ihsanul Karim told BSS.The PM expressed deep shock and sorrow at the tragic death of Nusrat who was set on fire on 6 April and succumbed to her injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital last night, he said.Sheikh Hasina prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed profound sympathy to the bereaved family.“Nusrat died around 9.30pm last night,” Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery’s chief coordinator at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) Samanta Lal Sen told reporters.The PM earlier directed health authorities to ensure best possible treatment for the 18-year-old Nusrat.“The prime minister called me up and asked us to take steps to send her to Singapore for her (Nusrat’s) better treatment,” Samanta Lal told reporters on Monday afternoon.Nusrat JahanHe also said the premier issued directives to contact a Singapore hospital and “send her there, if they (Singapore hospital) agree to treat her”.But doctors at the facility said Nusrat’s condition made it difficult for her treatment abroad as 80 per cent of her body including the respiratory system were burnt exposing her to breathing problems.Nusrat had accused Feni’s Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasah principal Sirajuddoula of harassing her sexually on 27 March while she was exposed to his extreme vengeance on 6 April when she went to the madrasah to appear in the HSC equivalent “Alim” examination.A group of masked youths, reported to be principal’s stooge, took Nusrat to the rooftop and set her on fire in a bid to kill her.Feni police said the principal was already behind the bar in another case while they launched a manhunt to catch the culprits who tried to kill her.