Wairarapa stepdad convicted for smacking toddler

first_imgWairarapa Times-Age 6 Aug 2013A dairy farmer who smacked a 2-year-old on the bottom was told by the sentencing judge that, while it was once acceptable to spank a child, it was now illegal to do so.  Jessie Wayne Smith, 26, was sentenced to supervision after pleading guilty to assault on a child, when he appeared in Masterton District Court last week.  Judge Tony Walsh said it was no longer appropriate for people to smack a child. “Years ago, no one would have turned an eye to this sort of behaviour but now we do. What you did was quite illegal.”In Smith’s case, Judge Walsh said he had gone too far when disciplining his stepson. The police summary stated that on July 13 Smith was at home with his 5-year-old daughter and his partner’s 2-year-old son. While his partner was out buying food, the 2-year-old started throwing toys around his room. Smith entered the boy’s bedroom and spoke to him about an incident earlier in the day where the boy had hit his mother. When the boy laughed at Smith, he pulled the toddler’s nappy down and smacked him on the bottom, with an open hand. The boy started throwing his toys around the room again and Smith spoke to him about mistreating his toys. The child’s response again upset Smith and he smacked him on the bottom again, leaving vivid red hand marks on his bottom which were still visible several days later, along with minor bruising. In explanation, Smith said he was upset by the boy’s lack of respect for his mother and his toys. He said he was also upset he had hit the boy as hard as he had and did not mean to. Defence lawyer Peter Stevens, on behalf of lawyer Frank Minehan, said Smith was attending a parenting programme and would be starting relationship counselling. Smith has no previous convictions for violent offending. The judge said Smith needed to “understand the law is quite clear that children cannot be subjected to this type of assault”. “It’s clear that this little boy did get a real beating from you on this occasion and this must not happen again.”http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/wairarapa-stepdad-convicted-for-smacking-toddler/1973016/last_img read more

Students react to new safety plan

first_imgSeveral students said they believe new safety measures announced Tuesday by USC President C. L. Max Nikias are improvements to on-campus safety.The new policies come after four victims sustained gunshot wounds on Oct. 31 in an on-campus shooting. The incident occurred after a suspect, not affiliated with the university, got in an argument with Geno Hall, a former Crenshaw High football star, at a Halloween party promoted by LA Hype in association with the Black Student Assembly.The new security policies include banning outside event promoters and requiring university identification to enter campus between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. The university also plans to increase surveillance and the number of security guards on the perimeter of campus.Vice President for Student Affairs Michael Jackson said student groups were consulted and briefed before the changes were announced.Several student leaders said the new changes are likely to enhance on-campus security. Mikey Geragos, Undergraduate Student Government President, said banning promoters should give student groups more oversight of their events.“I think we are all in agreement of having party promoters on campus was probably not a good idea,” Geragos said. “When you get party promoters involved … there is always the risk they could advertise to people who they shouldn’t advertise to and you don’t have control of what’s being put out there.”Molly Russell, a senior majoring in public relations, said she supports the policy for checking IDs to enter campus at night, but is not convinced that banning promoters will solve any safety issues on campus.“The ID thing is huge. I think it’s a logical step that should have been taken years ago. This area is not very safe, and that’s always going to be a challenge,” Russell said. “But I don’t think the promoter thing will really help. USC is supposed to be integrated with the community, so I think it’s weird to go back on that by not allowing them to hold events.”According to Geragos, events will still be open to individuals in the community, but USC will be checking IDs at the door.“We wanted to make sure there was a good way to monitor [events] without excluding those guests,” Geragos said.The university expects all new policies to be fully implemented by Jan. 14, 2013 — the first day of the spring semester.Arya Roshanian, a sophomore majoring in vocal arts, doubts that the Dept. of Public Safety will be able to enforce the new safety measures during times when there is a high volume of students on campus.“I’m not sure how it’s going to work with crowds,” Roshanian said. “During finals week, so many people go to campus at night to study and everything. How will they handle it when a big hoard of people is trying to get on campus?”Nikias also said that the university will increase the amount of DPS officers stationed on campus and at campus and residence hall entrances. The banning of outside event promoters will extend to the Row.Student Affairs consulted the Inter-Fraternity Council before announcing the changes. IFC President Michael Madden noted that the ban on promoters does not apply to party planners.Madden said some fraternities have already started checking student IDs at the door -— a policy IFC hopes to make mandatory for all fraternities.“That’s an idea that has been discussed and will probably be implemented next spring,” Madden said. “We are still in the process of working out the logistics of it.”Some students, such as Sheun Alli, a junior majoring in business administration, said that staying safe is mainly up to the individual.“People just need to be careful,” Sheun said. “The school can do whatever they want, but we’re still in South Central.”last_img read more

Kendrick Norton deemed at fault for wreck that resulted in amputated arm

first_imgNorton, 22, has been in the hospital since the July 4 crash, where doctors were forced to amputate his arm due to the severity of his injuries. He’s already undergone four surgeries and more are expected as he prepares to get a prostheitc arm. Norton’s NFL career is now over, but the league has agreed to cover all his medical costs. His agent, Malki Kawa, said that Norton’s “spirits are up considering the traumatic accident that he suffered and he’s thankful for the support.”The Dolphins claimed Norton off waivers from the Panthers in 2018. He was placed on Miami’s 53-man roster and expected to compete for playing time this season along the defensive line.The former collegiate standout was a seventh-round draft pick by the Panthers in 2018 after he had 84 tackles, 18 for loss, five sacks and a forced fumble over his three-year career at the University of Miami. NFL training camp 2019: Surprising roster cuts to watch for Kendrick Norton was at fault for the car wreck that resulted in him sustaining severe injuries and ultimately resulted in his arm getting amputated, according to the crash report obtained by ESPN.The Dolphins defensive tackle was ticketed for improper lane change, which caused the chain of events that led to the horrific crash. According to Florida Highway Patrol’s report, Norton was driving his Ford F250 truck on the outside lane of State Road 836 in the Miami area when he made a quick turn to try and get to the inside lanes going southbound. Redskins’ Josh Norman runs with bulls in Pamplona, Spain: It was ‘crazy’ As he sped up and changed lanes, he clipped the front of a Maserati, which caused Norton to crash into a concrete barrier and overturn the truck.Per the report, the driver of the Maserati was able to stop on his own. Drugs and alcohol were not considered a factor in the crash. Related News Hue Jackson hopes to be an NFL head coach againlast_img read more