MUMBAI, India (AP):South Africa avoided another bowling nightmare to revive their World Twenty20 campaign and beat inexperienced Afghanistan by 37 runs in the Group One match yesterday.Chasing South Africa’s daunting 209-5, opener Mohammad Shahzad smashed 44 off just 19 balls before medium-fast Chris Morris grabbed 4-27 to dismiss Afghanistan for 172 in 20 overs.”We need to be a lot better, it’s as simple as that,” said South Africa captain Faf du Plessis, who won the toss and chose to bat. “It’s a big challenge for the bowlers … I guess we are a bit soft in our execution which we need to improve on.”AB de Villiers had earlier capitalised on two dropped catches to hit 64 off 29 balls. Left-handed opener Quinton de Kock made 45 and du Plessis contributed 41.South Africa lost the first match against England, which chased down a WT20 record 230-8 at the same venue on Friday to win by two wickets. It was Afghanistan’s second loss in succession after they were beaten by defending champions Sri Lanka at Kolkata.Shahzad followed the England-style run rampage when he smashed five sixes and three fours in the first three overs from fast bowlers Kagiso Rabada and Kyle Abbott as South Africa rested their front-line fast bowler Dale Steyn and included David Wiese, who went for 0-47.Morris cut short the cricketing carnage and knocked back the middle stump of Shahzad, before following it up with the wicket of captain Asghar Stanikzai. He returned to clean- bowl Rashid Khan and Dawlat Zadran in his last over.The South African pace proved too much for Afghanistan’s middle-order batsmen as they kept losing wickets, with wicketkeeper de Kock holding on to four catches and also stumping Noor Ali Zadran.”This experience will be good for us,” Stanikzai said. “Shahzad started well but, unfortunately, we gave some quick wickets and that’s why we lost the match.”Earlier, de Kock and du Plessis set the pace of the South Africa innings by adding 65 off 42 balls after Hashim Amla was dismissed in the third over.Afghanistan came back briefly when du Plessis was run out in the 10th over and two overs later de Kock was caught behind.
MONTREAL — A Montreal man on trial for the killing of his ailing wife told a senior nurse at the long-term care facility where she lived that he had suffocated her, a jury has heard.Linda Desgagne testified at the second-degree murder trial of Michel Cadotte that the accused asked to speak to her alone after informing other staff on Feb. 20, 2017 that his wife was dead.Desgagne says that is when a tearful Cadotte told her he had smothered Jocelyne Lizotte with a pillow and that he couldn’t deal with his wife’s advanced Alzheimer’s anymore.The nurse, who has more than 30 years experience, says she had attended a meeting requested by Cadotte a year earlier at which he asked whether Lizotte qualified for medically assisted death.Desgagne says that Cadotte was told his wife did not meet the criteria for the life-ending procedure. He did not react strongly but said he would seek a legal opinion.Lizotte, 60, was in the late stages of the neurodegenerative disease and was entirely unable to care for herself.The Canadian Press
(Police remove demonstrators at the Muskrat Falls construction site Monday morning. Photo courtesy Justin Brake/The Independent)JorgeBarreraAPTN National NewsFederal Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc is considering a request for a review of a federal permit issued for the controversial Muskrat Falls hydroelectric project in Labrador, says Yvonne Jones, parliamentary secretary of Indigenous affairs.Jones, who is also the Liberal MP for Labrador, said she recently asked LeBlanc to review the issuing of the federal permit by his department to Nalcor, the Newfoundland and Labrador Crown corporation behind the $11. 4 billion project.“I have asked the minister to do a review of the environmental conditions that were supposed to be met when a permit was issued by the federal government,” said Jones, in a scrum following question period on Parliament Hill Monday. “If the conditions were not being met when the permit was issued, obviously then there will be a federal responsibility for that.”Jones said she expects a response from LeBlanc in the next few days.LeBlanc’s office did not return a request for comment as of this article’s posting.See related stories here: Muskrat FallsEarlier in the day, the RCMP raided a protest camp set up at the entrance to a Muskrat Falls construction site and arrested a total of nine people. The camp was set up about 30 kilometres west of Happy Valley Goose Bay, Nfld.9 people were arrested at the entrance to the #MuskratFalls hydroelectric site. Photo courtesy Justin Brake/The IndependentJones said she wants to see Premier Dwight Ball step into the situation and start talking with all sides.“My constituents feel that they have no other means right now only to stand up in protest and to protect the food supply that is there, not just for themselves but for the next generation,” said Jones. “They were standing up for what they believe is right and have legitimate concerns about the food supply and what could happen if the methylmercury levels rise in the river.”The project is facing fierce resistance from Labrador Inuit who say the flooding of the Lower Churchill River without clearing out the vegetation will cause the toxin methylmercury to be released into the land.Jones said it’s a legitimate concern and Nalcor had informed her previously that it would clear out the 41 square kilometre area that will be flooded by the dam.“This project was approved based on the facts that these concerns would be addressed. They signed on saying these concerns will be addressed and I expect them to own up to that,” said Jones.Indigenous Affairs Parliamentary Secretary Yvonne Jones on Parliament Hill Monday. Jones is also the MP for Labrador.Nalcor plans to flood the area without first clearing it of trees and vegetation starting later this fall and continuing until 2019.“The people of Labrador are good people. We are people of the land. We spend a lot of time on the land. The traditional way of life is very big for us,” said Jones. “Anything that jeopardizes that always causes us tremendous concerns. I have told the protesters that came to meet with that I do not support closing down the Muskrat Falls project. However, I really believe more needs to be done to mitigate any potential harm that could come to the food supply in Labrador.”Nalcor obtained a court injunction against the protest camp on Sunday and the RCMP moved in the next day.The speed of the RCMP’s raid does not follow the Mounties’ usual tactics when dealing with Indigenous protests.Monday’s raid comes exactly three years to the day since the RCMP raided the Elsipogtog Mi’kmaq led, anti-fracking camp in Rexton, NB. Back then, the Mounties tried to negotiate an end to the camp for about two weeks before moving in with a heavily armed raid on Oct. 17, 2013.RCMP move into the Elsipogtog Mi’kmaq camp at Rexton, NB Oct. 17, 2013.Jones questioned Nalcor’s move to obtain the injunction.“I don’t know what the time pressures are with regard to the project. I know the province and Nalcor should be realizing at this point that this a very serious issue and that people want it addressed,” said Jones.And if it costs a few million extra or if it takes a few more weeks to clear out the vegetation to protect the natural environment, then Nalcor should be willing to foot the bill, said Jones.“It is really a gamble when you are going out there and flooding an area this size and not understanding if the food sources is going to be absolutely 100 per cent protected,” she said. “I go to bed at night with a knot in my stomach because I don’t want things to happen and find out people will have to wait two years three years before they consume in the food in the area.”The previous government of Stephen Harper approved a $6.4 billion loan guarantee for the hydro-electric project in 2012. Jones said the province has since asked Ottawa to increase the loan firstname.lastname@example.org