ABC NewsBY: ALEX PRESHA, AVERY MILLER, and HALEY YAMADA, ABC News(NEW YORK) — U.S. Air Force veteran Jawanna Hardy knows the tragic story behind all of the young faces she sees in a memorial for kids lost to gun violence in Washington, D.C.Hardy was a E3, Airman First Class, who served for six years, including a one year tour in Qatar. Since leaving her post, she’s founded an outreach program called “Guns Down Friday,” which is aimed at providing comfort to families who have lost loved ones to gun violence.“What struck me was how organized the war was and how disorganized the communities were when it came to gun violence and so I knew it was time to do something,” said Hardy.“[Violence] is normal to them, and for us it’s traumatizing, but they live it every day,” she added.There have been more than 13,000 gun deaths in the United States so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. Washington D.C. alone had surpassed 100 gun-related deaths by mid-July, according to Metropolitan Police Department Chief Peter Newsham.Thirteen-year-old John’yae Young picked up bullets in her neighborhood.“[The bullets] made me sad and angry at the same time,” said John’yae, who is a part of “Guns Down Friday.”Hardy’s mission is to provide support through donations like school supplies, meals and field trips to Six Flags to children like Missy Scott.Last year, Missy’s 15-year-old twin brother Maurice was shot and killed.“My brother was funny, playful, very fun to be around, athletic [and] smart” said Scott. “I honestly do take my deep breath and think about [him] literally every day.”As someone who has attended therapy and knows the importance of mental health, Hardy said she can’t imagine experiencing the level of trauma and gun violence these kids face without any help.“I did therapy for two years just to get back on track. So when I see neighborhoods like this and they experience that trauma with no therapy. It’s traumatizing,” said Hardy, who added that “Guns Down Friday” visits a different neighborhood every day.Across the country, more than 3,400 kids and teens have been shot this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. In the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, 320 of those killed were under the age of 18.U.S. gun violence data in perspective:’14: 2,893 kids & teens shot’15: 3,399 kids & teens shot’16: 3,818 kids & teens shot’17: 3,991 kids & teens shot’18: 3,553 kids & teens shot’19: 3,809 kids & teens shot’20: 3,414 kids & teens shot (in 260 days)— Gun Violence Archive (@GunDeaths) September 16, 2020Still, Hardy says that there is hope.“It’s all love and it’s all about connecting and unity in our community,” said Hardy, “and that’s what is really going to change our community and the world.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
This week’s new entertainment releases include new music from British singer-songwriter Arlo Parks, who can count former first lady Michelle Obama as a fan. If a wacky sci-fi series sounds appealing, check out SyFy’s “Resident Alien.” Alan Tudyk plays an alien masquerading as a small-town doctor — and a human — after crash-landing on Earth. In “Palmer,” Justin Timberlake takes a rare leading role in a predictable but tender redemption drama. In the film, debuting Friday on Apple TV+, a bearded Timberlake plays an ex-convict and former college football star who returns home from prison and strikes up a friendship with a boy.
GOSTEI MUITO E EU QUERO SER TROPA AMERICANA OU BRASI. SOU ANGOLANO 244 928050119 244 913006928 By Dialogo May 16, 2012 The Chilean Navy’s OPV Comandante Toro was welcomed at Peru’s Callao Naval Base on May 13 by a delegation from that South American country’s Navy. During its stay, the vessel’s crew will carry out a substantial program of activities as part of the Pacific phase of the Unitas LIII exercise. The countries participating in UNITAS are Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Peru, and the United States. This is the first time that the Chilean Navy is participating in Unitas with an offshore patrol vessel in the OPV-80 class, designed by the German firm Fassmer and built in the country, at the Astilleros y Maestranzas de la Armada (ASMAR) industrial plant in Talcahuano. In Chile, this vessel and its twin, the OPV-81 Piloto Pardo, are used for tasks related to guarding the nation’s extensive maritime spaces, protecting human life at sea, search-and-rescue missions, support for island communities, protecting fishing resources, and monitoring maritime pollution.
– Advertisement – ALSO SEE: WhatsApp Pay gets green signal from NPCIWith this new rule, the companies will see their share change — the cap of 30 percent will be calculated on the basis of total volume of transactions processed in UPI during the preceding three months on a rolling basis. According to the announcement, the TPAs that have more than a 30 percent share will have a two year period to comply in a phased manner.It’s not clear what will happen if a company hits a cap — whether it would be allowed to carry out further transactions at that point in time, or whether it would have to stop. This means that if you’re using a popular TPA like Google Pay or PhonePe, would this lead to more failed transactions? At present, this is not certain. WhatsApp is another contender in this space which has been waiting in the wings for permissions, and it has now been given permission by the NPCI to go ahead with its rollout.- Advertisement – The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has set a cap of 30% on total volume of UPI transactions processed by Third Party App (TPA) providers, which will come into place from January 2021. UPI — the Unified Payments Interface — has exceeded two billion transactions, according to the NPCI, with TPAs like Google Pay and PhonePe accounting for the majority of this figure. Now, the NPCI has put a cap on the proportion of transactions that a single company can process, in order to “address the risks and protect the UPI ecosystem as it further scales up,” the NPCI wrote. This will largely affect Google Pay and PhonePe, and present an opportunity for others such as Paytm and MobiKwik. There are also concerns that by capping the number of transactions a company can do in a month, it might lead to greater failure rates of transactions.The UPI ecosystem is heavily dominated by only two companies — Google Pay and PhonePe. According to a recent report, both companies account for around 40 percent of the number of transactions — each. Aside from this, two other companies, Paytm and MobiKwik are together almost 20 percent of the UPI transactions. All other apps, ranging from the government’s BHIM UPI app, to the many bank apps, barely have any share.- Advertisement – WhatsApp Pay has now been given permission to expand its users in a phased manner, with a maximum user base of up to 20 million users. To compare, PhonePe recently announced that it has hit the 250 million user mark.Why are smartphone prices rising in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.
Topics : United would be one of the clubs worst affected should the 2019/20 season fail to be completed as they sit fifth in the Premier League, outside the Champions League places, and are still involved in the latter stages of the Europa League and FA Cup.However, Manchester City’s two-season ban from European competition could allow their city rivals to qualify for the Champions League if it is upheld for next season. “The club fully supports the collective intent to complete the Premier League, FA Cup and the UEFA club competitions,” United said in a statement on Friday.”However, if it were decided that games cannot be played, or needed to be played behind closed doors, Manchester United confirms it will offer season ticket holders either a pro-rata rebate against their season tickets for next year, or a pro-rata cash refund based on the number of games still to be played. Manchester United will refund supporters if they have to play their remaining home games of the season behind closed doors or if they are scrapped due to the coronavirus pandemic.The deadline for season ticket renewals for next season has also been suspended, with no indication as to when the current campaign can re-start.English football has been suspended until April 30, but a meeting of Premier League clubs next week is expected to push that date further back. “The season ticket renewal deadline, initially 1 May, has been suspended.”United have also committed to paying 3,000 casual staff for their remaining five home Premier League games even if they are cancelled or played behind closed doors.Earlier this month, the Red Devils paid travelling fans £350 ($429) towards travel and accommodation costs when their Europa League last-16, first-leg match against LASK in Austria was forced behind closed doors at short notice.”By pushing the season ticket renewal deadline back and confirming our policy if games were to be cancelled or played behind closed doors, we want to ease any concerns our loyal fans may have in the current circumstances,” said Richard Arnold, United’s Group Managing Director.”They give Manchester United their support year after year, and at this time, we are committed to supporting them. Our message to them is clear — we are all in this together.”
On April 20, 2010, the explosion of BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling platform claimed the lives of 11 workers and unleashed a torrent of more than four million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. A decade later, the practice of deepwater drilling remains widespread off the lengthy coasts of the United States. While government oversight was tightened in the wake of the environmental disaster, conservationists say the risks of a new leak could be growing as falling prices may lead to staffing cuts by the big producers. Today, oil rigs continue drilling off the shores of Alaska and California, but the vast majority (nearly 1,900) are in the Gulf of Mexico, off the coasts of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.Around 17 percent of the country’s crude oil and five percent of its natural gas comes from this huge maritime zone, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).Offshore drilling rigs, their productivity steadily increasing due to technological advances, have long been considered as the most profitable way for the United States to ensure energy independence. “Deepwater was drilling deeper than almost any well available at the time,” said Phil Flynn, an energy analyst with the Price Futures Group. “It was the equivalent of landing a man on the moon.” But in recent years deepwater drilling has lost some of its shine as new techniques for hydraulic fracking — injecting liquid deep into the earth to release natural gas at relatively modest cost — have gained ground.Following the Deepwater Horizon explosion, the US government strengthened regulations around deepwater drilling. Starting in 2011, former president Barack Obama’s administration created the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE), separating its activities from those related to promoting the petroleum industry — two sometimes conflicting missions that up to then had both been managed by the same agency, the Minerals Management Service (MMS).The big petroleum companies were also required to provide greater guarantees that they were properly managing the risks linked to offshore drilling. In the meantime, those companies have developed increasingly effective systems for more rapidly containing any explosions that do occur.In 2010, the states around the Gulf of Mexico watched with mounting concern as it took BP nearly three months to halt the Deepwater Horizon leak, which fouled beaches, damaged tourism and killed millions of sea creatures. BP spent tens of billions of dollars to clean up the oil spill, settle various law suits, compensate companies that had suffered spill-related losses, and help restore the region’s environment.”All the other companies learned a lot from the bad experience that BP had and improved their operations internally,” said Donald Boesch, who served on the commission established by Obama to investigate the causes of the accident.”Some have developed more precautions and devoted more efforts than others into this,” added Boesch, a professor of marine science at the University of Maryland.President Donald Trump’s objective of making the United States the world’s top oil producer, a goal attained early in 2018, led to a weakening of the rules regulating the industry.The Trump administration’s “philosophy is more supportive of growth of oil production in the US, and deregulation,” Boesch said. In January 2018, the White House announced its intention to open almost all of America’s coastal waters to oil and gas drilling, a decision that sparked sharp resistance from several states and is the subject of several still unresolved legal battles. “Instead of learning lessons from the BP disaster, President Trump is proposing to radically expand offshore drilling, while dismantling the few protections put in place as a result of the catastrophic blowout,” said Diane Hoskins, a campaign director for the nonprofit Oceana, which works on ocean conservation issues. Oceana, in a report published Tuesday on the economic and ecological consequences of the Deepwater accident, concludes that a new disaster is more, not less, likely than it was 10 years ago.Oil-rig safety and governmental oversight have “not improved,” the report states, adding that “expanding this industry to new areas puts human health and the environment at risk.” The current crisis facing the petroleum industry — hit hard by the sharp drop in consumption and in world oil prices amid the global coronavirus pandemic, makes the picture even more worrisome, some analysts say.”If the companies are under financial stress, they have to cut costs by reducing the number of their employees. With that comes a risk,” Boesch said. “That’s what we saw during the Deepwater accident,” he added. “They were behind schedule drilling that well. Their decisions were affected by a desire to finish up quickly, so they cut corners.”I’m concerned the situation is set up so that it could happen again.”Topics :
A survey done in the UK has shown children as young as 10 are smoking. A poll of more than 1,000 youngsters who took Key Stage Two SATs last year found eight had smoked before the tests, while 37 ate chocolate and 30 used high-sugar and caffeine drinks.With tobacco advertising banned in many Western countries, cigarette manufacturers are increasingly targeting countries in Africa.And more and more Africans are taking up the habit. African countries are experiencing the highest increase in the rate of tobacco use amongst developing countries.Cigarette smoking in Africa – in particular in countries like Egypt and Nigeria – is growing by a record 3.5% a year, according to the UN’s Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO).According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), smoking cigarettes kills almost five million people worldwide every year and drains the continent’s already impoverished public health services as the cost of treating tobacco-related disease soars. Some African countries are trying to stop their citizens from becoming smokers. Tanzania and Uganda have banned smoking in public places and countries like Ghana, Kenya and Mauritius have ratified the WHO tobacco control treaty, which promises to increase tax on tobacco sales, introduce smoking bans and reduce tobacco production.But Malawi – the world’s biggest grower of burley tobacco, used by manufacturer as a filler in cigarettes – has not. It fears the millions of people who depend on tobacco for their livelihoods will be pushed into poverty.
A Greensburg man suffered injuries as a result of a single car crash on State Road 46 on Monday afternoon.Police say 81-year-old Donald Nelson was driving eastbound near County Road 750W between Greensburg and Hartsville, when the vehicle veered off the road in a curve around 12:45 p.m.The 2013 Toyota Tacoma rolled several times before coming to a rest on the driver’s side.Although Nelson was restrained and the airbags deployed, he still suffered a head injury and was bleeding, authorities said.He was air-lifted to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
Valerie Jean McPeek 59, of Cincinnati, Ohio, passed away Sunday October 21, 2018 in Cincinnati, OH.She was born March 23, 1959 in Ft. Riley, KS, daughter of Erma (Crider) Schuman of Cincinnati, OH and the late Ronald McPeek.She worked as a Grocery Bagger for Kroger, for over 20 years.Valerie enjoyed playing video games on her phone, watching TV and spending time with her family.Valerie is survived by her loving family, mom, Erma Jean Crider Schuman of Cincinnati, OH; brother, Troy (Carolyn) Helmers of Cincinnati, OH; sister-in-law, Emma (Late Victor) McPeek of Aurora, IN; nephews, Jared McPeek and Jonathan Helmers; nieces, Carrie (Jon) McPeek Harris and Hannah Helmers; uncles, Mike (Charity) Crider and David Crider of Aurora, IN. She was preceded in death by her father, Ronald McPeek, brother, Victor McPeek and special uncle, Carl Keith Crider.Friends will be received Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm at the Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, 219 Mechanic Street, Aurora, Indiana.Services will be held at the Funeral Home, Wednesday at 1:30 pm following visitation.Interment will follow in the River View Cemetery, Aurora, Indiana .Contributions may be made to the River View Cemetery Association. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
Batesville, IN—The City of Batesville Parks and Recreation Department will be holding a grand opening and name unveiling at Batesville’s newest park located at 150 Six Pine Ranch Road, across from Batesville Tool and Die this coming Saturday at 11 am.Last Fall, citizens submitted ideas for the name of the park, the submitted names were narrowed down until one was chosen and approved by the park board. There is a large metal archway that was installed last Thursday that is covered until the name is unveiled on Saturday at the grand opening. The park also features a paved walking trail, large playground area with a unique turf, soft surfacing, a swing set with toddler swings and a “birds nest” swing, and overlook deck for bird watching in the wetland area, flagpole, shelter, many picnic tables, and benches. The park was funded through a federal Land and Water Conservation Fund grant and the matching money came from the value of the approximately 3 acres that was donated from MMH. All amenities from the trash cans to the shelter and overlook deck were donated by citizens and local businesses. The park also connects to the hospital’s paved trail behind the physician’s center and will also eventually have a connecting trail to a paved trail behind BT&D.The new flagpole will also be dedicated on Saturday with the VFW and American Legion color and firing squad present. The Patriot Guard will also give the park a Patriotic look with its display of flags. Handicap parking will be available at the new park parking lot and additional parking will be available in BT&D’s parking lot.Come out and celebrate Independence Day, the grand opening of the park, and be there for the name unveiling of the park on Saturday at 11 am. Please bring lawn chairs, masks are not required but recommended, and there will be room in the 3-acre park to practice social distancing.