first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTS SUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionMilford United 2 Lifford Celtic 1Milford overcame reigning champions Lifford Celtic at Tri a Lough in a keenly contested affair. Milford played well in the first half despite having a few scares from counter attacks by the visitors. Paul Shields headed home a super free kick delivery by Gary Merritt on twenty minutes. Merritt then reacted quickest to a Joey Cullen header, which was saved, and he neatly scored in bottom corner. On the stroke of half time PJ Hagan hit the post with Lee White well beaten in the Lifford nets. Lifford pushed hard to get back into the game but Milford defended well and worked hard to preserve their lead. Lifford got one back on eighty nine minutes when Caolan Mc Gettigan and Paul Shields collided in the box, Mc Gettigan pushing the ball into his own net. Milford held on for a good win. Kilmacrennan Celtic 1 Cranford United 0Kilmac pick up three valuable points from this local derby which was played at the Flagpole in Rathmullan. Kilmac started well with Michael McLaughlin proving a handful down the left wing. Timmy Burke rolled back the years on ten minutes when he turned a few Cranford defenders inside out but his shot was well saved by Enda McHugh. Kyle Black started coming into the game midway through the first half and supplied a tempting cross for Phil Buchannan but the big front man was inches from latching onto the cross. The second half saw Cranford almost scoring within the first few minutes, from an Arty Lynch header. Michael McLaughlin turned his back on the effort and luckily it struck his back. The Cranford onslaught continued but they were dealt a sucker punch when Aidan Friel broke from his own half and blasted home from ten yards. The remainder of the game saw chances for both sides but Kilmac held on for a priceless win. Team efforts from both. Referee: Packie CollGweedore Celtic 1 Glenea United 0For the second successive wee, a Chris Porter strike sealed victory for the home side. As expected in a local derby match this was a closely contested encounter. Glenea United had a chance on twenty minutes when a free into the box wasn’t dealt with but Glenea couldn’t apply the finish. Gweedore started the second half brightly and should have taken the lead on fifty minutes but, in a goal mouth scramble, Chris Porter’s shot hit the outside of the post. He atoned for the miss five minutes later when his strike from the edge of the box gave the keeper no chance. Glenea pushed to get back into the game and Kevin Mulhern’s header was just over the bar. On eighty minutes Tommy Diver had a chance to finish the game but his shot rolled past the far post. Glenea piled on the pressure but the home defence stood firm and held on for all three points. Best for Gweedore were David McGee and Johnny Mc Ginty. A team performance for Glenea. Referee: Marty Mc GarrigleSt. Catherines 1 Rathmullan Celtic 2This game was on an edge from start to finish with very little given away by either team. It was the visitors who took the lead when Shay Coyle ‘s header from a free kick found the net on thirty five minutes. Half chances fell to both sides but Rathmullan went in at half time a goal to the good. ‘The Saints’ came out for the second half and pressed with every attack to get the equaliser as Rathmullan played a counter attacking game. On seventy minutes Saints’ sub Stephen Gildea popped up to strike a half volley through a crowded defence to the back of the net. Decisions, tackles and chances came hard and fast for the last twenty minutes with every man giving all they had to clinch the winner and that winner came on eighty five minutes when Paddy Sheridan’s free kick from the edge of the box nestled in The Saints’ net. Team performance from both sides. Referee: Joe Mc Hugh. Curragh Athletic 2 Donegal Town 1In this reversed match the visitors went away with the three points, coming from a goal down to secure a second win of the season. The game was preceded by a minutes silence for the late John Slevin who passed away at the weekend. Donegal took the lead on the half hour mark when Benny Byrne hammered home a left footed half-volley after great work out wide from David Harron. Curragh fought back well after the restart and equalised when Shane Barclay prodded home from inside the area. The visitors then took the lead when Ryan Harkin finished off a great team move with twenty minutes to go. The home side fought hard for an equaliser and created several good opportunities but were unable to convert and in the end the visitors left with the three points. Good team performances from both teams.Watson Hire Division OneKerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2 Castlefin Celtic 2 Kerrykeel and Castlefin played out a cracker of a game on what was a great day for football but the home side will wonder how they didn’t collect all three points. The away side started better and caught Kerrykeel cold on six minutes. J.P. Mailey played in Mark Carlin and he finished well. This brought Kerrykeel to life and they pinned Castlefin back for the remainder of the half. Davitt Walsh had a good finish ruled out for off-side on eighteen minutes but it was he who set up the Kerrykeel goal, playing in Kevin Loughrey who crossed for Johnny Friel to head home. The second half saw Kerrykeel again forcing Castlefin back and on sixty minutes they thought they had gone in front, but again Mark Friel was ruled off-side. Castlefin subsequently had a good spell for ten minutes and were unlucky not to get a penalty on sixty five minutes. They went in front on seventy minutes when a great corner was headed home by Conor Carlin. Kerrykeel threw everything into the game for the final twenty minutes hitting the post three times with efforts from Cathal Martin and Paddy Mc Grenaghan forcing the away keeper to make fine saves. The ‘71 levelled on eighty five minutes when Aidan Mc Ateer crossed for Niall Doherty to power a header home from six yards. Kerrykeel went looking for the winner and again hit the post on ninety minutes, Marty Mc Ateer with a great strike from the edge of the box. Castlefin were reduced to ten men in injury time when Carlin saw red.Best for the ‘71: Seimie Coshia, Aidan Mc Ateer and Kevin Loughrey. Team effort from Castlefin. Referee: Mick LaganGweedore United 3 Drumoghill F.C. 1This game played in good conditions at Carrickboyle on a nice afternoon saw the home side claim a good three points from Drumoghill who lead the league table at the present time. The visitors got off to the best possible start when they scored in the first minute. The home side responded well and had good chances through Michael Connolly and Ciaran Mc Fadden well saved by Gregg Regan in the visitors net. United were back on level terms in the 12th minute when Shane O’ Donnell’s excellent pass was neatly finished by Ciaran Mc Fadden to make it 1-1. Drumoghill could have went ahead two minutes later when a good free kick from Kevin Kelly was headed just over by Joe English. The home side saw good chances fall to Lee and Eugene Ferry however the score remained 1-1 until half time. In the second half United continued to press and their good play paid off in the 65th minute when a well hit left foot shot by Eugene Noel Ferry went into the bottom right corner of Regan’s net. The visitors tried to break down a well organised United side with Liam O’ Donnell being kept at bay by Frank Mc Gee. The home side secured the three points in the 89th minute when a good through ball from Francis Gallagher was again finished by Ciaran Mc Fadden to make it 3-1. Kevin Kelly and Chris O’ Donnell played well for Drumoghill and it was an excellent team performance throughout from United. Referee: Gerry Rodden.Bonagee United 7 Eany Celtic 1Bonagee stayed clear of the relegation zone with this comprehensive victory over Eany. The first half was one of few chances and the opening goal did not arrive until the 43rd minute when Darren Coyle beat the offside trap to have an effort parried by the Eany keeper but Mark Hunter was on hand to steer the ball home from six yards. They doubled their advantage one minute later, this time Hunter’s long ball was misjudged by the Eany keeper and Coyle had the easy task of tapping home from ten yards. Goal number three arrived in the 59th minute. Hunter again turned provider for Coyle, this time his cross from the right was blasted home between keeper and post by the Bonagee frontman. Eany got a glimmer of hope when their number seven scored from distance in the 61st minute, but it was all in vain, Bonagee turned the screw after that when they scored another four without reply. Goal number four for the home team was scored in the 65th minute. A free swung into the box by Hunter was powerfully met at the back post by Conor Sweeney. Midfielder Odhran Grant added his name to the list of scorers in the 72nd minute when he unleashed a shot from 20 yards that left the keeper with no chance and with Coyle adding two more late in the game it was the Bonagee side who triumphed. Team performances from both sides.Keadue Rovers 3 Dunkineely Celtic 1Keadue Rovers got a vital victory against Dunkineely Celtic in this game at Central Park. The home side made the brighter start and Mark Boyle went close at the far post on three minutes. Dunkineely took the lead on eight minutes when Andrew Mackey reacted well to a through ball and lobbed the advancing keeper. Keadue fought back and were level within a few minutes. A free kick from the right was headed out as far as Mark Boyle who volleyed to the top corner of the net. The home side should then have taken the lead, their best chance falling to Ryan Greene whose shot was well saved by the Dunkineely keeper. The remainder of the first half was fairly scrappy overall with neither side able to assume control. Into the second half and Keadue went ahead within a few minutes of the re-start. A ball through to Ryan Greene was well controlled and he flicked it into the path of Sean ‘Yank’ Boyle who made no mistake, coolly slotting past the keeper. At this stage Keadue turned up the pressure with Ryan Greene showing well. It was Greene’s move on fifty eight minutes that lead to a penalty being conceded by the visitors. Sean ‘Yank’ Boyle slotted home to give Keadue a two goal cushion. Dunkineely pressed hard for the last twenty minutes but couldn’t reduce the deficit. A vital victory for the home team for whom Sean Yank Boyle, Ryan Greene and Mark Boyle were impressive. A good team effort from Dunkineely. Referee: Liam Farren.CT Ball Division TwoBallybofey United 0 Deele Harps 1Deele Harps visited Ballybofey United on Sunday afternoon and returned to Lifford with all three points in the bag. There was little to choose between these two sides throughout this entire match with a single goal deciding the issue. Adrian Gallagher got the important goal for the visitors when he took advantage of a mix-up in the home defence on thirty minutes. They almost doubled their advantage as half time loomed when a free kick crashed off the Ballybofey crossbar. The second half failed to produce any further goals with both teams creating but a few half chances each. Best for Ballybofey United was Ryan Duffy while Deele Harps’ best performer on the day was Christopher Roulston. Referee: Seamus Mc GroryConvoy Arsenal 2 Glenree United 2It was a point each for the sides after a hard fought encounter at Orchard Park in Convoy.The home side started brightly and almost took the lead in the second minute after some neat football but it was Glenree who then took the lead when a ball down the right wing was crossed for John Doherty to head home after five minutes. This spurred Convoy on and they put Glenree’s goal under a lot of pressure. Glenree held firm until the 20th minute when Ryan Carlin finished off a sweeping Convoy move. Convoy went on to have a lot of possession for the remainder of the first half without getting a second while Glenree still looked dangerous on the counter.The first five minutes of the second half started at a frantic pace and the play was pretty much end to end until Convoy started to stamp their authority on the game again.Convoy wasted a few good chances but finally got the ball in the net for the second time on the hour mark. This time it was Darren Harvey who finished it off. All Convoy’s hard work was undone in the 65th minute when a Glenree free kick caused panic in the Convoy box and led to a penalty being awarded for handball. Martin Mc Laughlin put the keeper the wrong way to level the scores. The last twenty five minutes were backs against the wall for Glenree as Convoy threw everything at them searching for the winner. But the game ended all square after great team efforts from both sides. Referee: Victor FisherDunlewy Celtic 2 Whitestrand United 3A calm day in Dunlewy, not what was forecast, saw five goals shared between Celtic and Whitestrand United. The visitors squandered a few early chances before James Gallagher put them in front after a corner kick. It was still one nil at the break. Dunlewy drew level straight after the interval when Kieran Mc Geady’s wicket cross was turned into his own net by a Whitestrand defender. Daniel Cannon then put the hosts ahead when he drove a rocket to the Whitestrand net five minutes later. Michael Sweeney’s shot then took a deflection off a Dunlewy defender to level the scores. The visitors secured the three points when a James Gallagher shot was well saved by Cathal Gillespie but Michael Sweeney reacted quickest to converted the rebound. Team performances from both teamsRaphoe Town 5 Letterbarrow Celtic 0The Game started evenly enough with both sides beginning strongly. Letterbarrow soon began to struggle as the wind against them grew in strength. This encouraged Raphoe to attack Letterbarrow’s defence. Patrick Gallagher neatly finished a penalty in the 20th minute to put Raphoe ahead. Stephen Craig was the most alert player on the pitch when he tapped the ball home to put the away side two up after a superb free kick came back off the crossbar. Letterbarrow’s troubles continue when Barry Jordan was sent off after a second bookable offence. The second half began as the first finished with David Craig putting Raphoe three up. To make matters worse for Letterbarrow Liam Reynolds also got sent off after taking down a player in the penalty area. Patrick Gallagher scored his second penalty to finish off the home side. Letterbarrow battled well with nine players however in the 90th minute their steam ran out with Raphoe scoring their fifth through Gary Mc Brearty. Referee: Andrew MullinDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTSWEDNESDAYDowntown CupCurragh Athletic Reserves 1 Fintown Harps AFC 3Fintown scored in the in the 24th minute through a header from John Molloy. Gary Heaney went close with a header from a Shane Elliott cross as Curragh tried to get back on level terms. Fintown doubled their lead in the 60th minute when an Aaron Thompson strike beat the Curragh keeper. Curragh then scored in the 62nd minute when good work from Justin mc bride set up Shane Elliott. Fintown completed the scoring in the 85th minute with a Brian Delaney strike to finish the game off as a contest. Best for Curragh was Dylan Irwin. A team effort from Fintown Harps.SATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneErne Wanderers 0 Glenea United Reserves 3Erne Wanderers hosted Glenea United in absolutely atrocious conditions at the Lakeside Centre on Saturday. It was the away side who claimed all three points as they proved more clinical on the day. With United winning the toss and opting to play against the wind in the first half it was Erne who had all the possession but really struggled to cut open the away defence. They should have opened the scoring after 5 minutes however when a kick out landed all the way into the away teams area and David Dolan, with only the keeper to beat, somehow screwed it wide. With the game littered with goal kicks and throw-ins it was not pretty to watch. It remained scoreless until the interval. The second half was hardly two minutes old when Glenea took the lead. Dean Gallagher intercepted a ball from Wanderers backline and shot from 25 yards into the top corner. Erne got going again and created a couple of chances but their finishing let them down. Glenea got number two on the hour mark when Erne failed to clear a corner and Shane Penrose found the back of the net. Erne threatened on few occasions but couldn’t hit the net and were caught out on the break in the last minute when Connor McGee chipped the keeper from 18 yards. A poor day at the office for the understrength champions with no real stand out performer’s and the Glenea keeper was their best on the day. Referee: Michael Mulhern.Ramelton Mariners 1 Mulroy Celtic 1(No Report Available)Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoTullyvinney Rovers 1 Strand Rovers 2This match was switched to Maghery. Strand had the better of the first twenty minutes and were rewarded in the twenty fifth when Jonathan Stewart scored a superb goal. After retaining their lead until the interval Strand went further in front through Brendan Glackin who registered on fifty minutes just when Tullyvinney were getting a foothold in the game. The visitors persisted in the ever worsening conditions and pulled a goal back on seventy minutes when Stephen Sweeney scored. Strand held out for the final twenty minutes and by doing so recorded their first ever victory since joining the Donegal Junior League at the start of the current season. Best for Tullyvinney were Adam Gardener and Ronata while best for Strand was Jonathon Stewart, Paddy Glackin, Brendan Brennan and Brendan Glackin.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSWEDNESDAY 29-01-2014Downtown CupCurragh Athletic Reserves 1 v 3 Fintown Harps AFCSATURDAY 01-02-2014Old Orchard Saturday Division OneErne Wanderers 0 v 3 Glenea United ReservesRamelton Mariners 1 v 1 Mulroy CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoTullyvinney Rovers 1 v 2 Strand RoversKeadue Rovers Reserve P v P Donegal Town ReservesGlenree United Reserves P v P Gweedore United ReservesSUNDAY 02-02-2014Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionMilford United 2 v 1 Lifford CelticKilmacrennan Celtic 1 v 0 Cranford UnitedGweedore Celtic 1 v 0 Glenea UnitedSt. Catherines 1 v 2 Rathmullan CelticCurragh Athletic 2 v 1 Donegal TownWatson Hire Division OneKerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2 v 2 Castlefin CelticGweedore United 3 v 1 Drumoghill F.C.Bonagee United 7 v 1 Eany CelticKeadue Rovers 3 v 1 Dunkineely CelticLagan Harps P v P Cappry RoversCT Ball Division TwoBallybofey United 0 v 1 Deele HarpsDrumbar F.C. P v P Copany RoversConvoy Arsenal 2 v 2 Glenree UnitedDunlewy Celtic 2 v 3 Whitestrand UnitedRaphoe Town 5 v 0 Letterbarrow CelticDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUETOP SCORERSBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionEoin Sheridan Rathmullan Celtic 7Ryan Carlin Curragh Athletic 6Ryan Mc Fadden Glenea United 6Kyle Black Cranford United 6Joey Cullen Milford United 6Gary Merritt Milford United 6Jason Noctor St. Catherines 5Eamonn Sheridan Rathmullan Celtic 5Oisin Mc Menamin Rathmullan Celtic 5Watson Hire Division OneJonathan Friel Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 15Liam O’ Donnell Drumoghill F.C. 13Andrew Mackey Dunkineely Celtic 12J.P. Malley Castlefin Celtic 11Mark Friel Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 10Adrian Nesbitt Dunkineely Celtic 9Michael Connolly Gweedore United 8Paddy Mc Grenaghan Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 8Ciaran Mc Fadden Gweedore United 7CT Ball Division TwoShane Gallagher Deele Harps 9Paul Lynch Whitestrand United 7Michael Sweeney Whitestrand United 6Padraig Rooney Copany Rovers 5Ciaran Mc Geady Dunlewy Celtic 5John Cannon Dunlewy Celtic 5David Langan Glenree United 5Andrew Kelly Glenree United 5Old Orchard Saturday Division OnePaddy Rafferty Glencar Celtic 11Niall Bonner Orchard F.C. 6David Dolan Erne Wanderers 6Christopher Mc Glynn Fintown Harps 5Darragh Gallagher Fintown Harps 5Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoDavid Bustard Donegal Town Res. 10Gavin Mc Glanaghey Arranmore United 9Damien Nelis Glenree United Res. 9Sean Paul Mc Mahon Gweedore United Res. 9Adrian Hanlon Keadue Rovers Res. 7DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 08-02-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneMulroy Celtic v St. Catherines ReservesCastlefin Celtic Reserves v Fintown Harps AFCOrchard F.C. v Glenea United ReservesRamelton Mariners v Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers v Donegal Town ReservesMilford United Reserves v Tullyvinney RoversCranford United Reserves v Curragh Athletic ReservesGlenree United Reserves v Keadue Rovers ReservesSUNDAY 09-02-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic v Gweedore CelticGlenea United v Kilmacrennan CelticCranford United v Milford UnitedLifford Celtic v Donegal TownCurragh Athletic v St. CatherinesWatson Hire Division OneCappry Rovers v Gweedore UnitedEany Celtic v Dunkineely CelticLagan Harps v Keadue RoversCT Ball Division TwoWhitestrand United v Deele HarpsGlenree United v Ballybofey UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic v Copany RoversRaphoe Town v Drumbar F.C.DONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS, FIXTURES AND TOP SCORERS was last modified: February 2nd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *