Human waste overflowed at Indian takeaway shut by FSAI

first_imgThe details of a closure order served on an Indian takeaway and restaurant have uncovered shocking breaches of food safety laws.A Food Safety Authority closure order was served on Saffron in Creeslough on October 19th 2017 and lifted again on October 27th 2017.The closure report detailed how a pond of human excrement was discovered in one area, food was found in use well past best-before dates and dead flies were found in the oil used on pizzas. HSE inspectors declared there was or was likely to be ‘a grave and immediate danger to public health’ at the premises. Breaches of the food safety regulations at Saffron, Creeslough in the report included:Human excrement was overflowing and ponding in an area beside the shed in which the potato peeler waslocated due to an overflowing manhole. As staff had to stand outside while using this food equipment,they would be standing in the excrement, thereby carrying it into the food premises on their shoes.Foods cooked on the premises were not being given proper use by dates and as a result, cooked chickenand minced beef were stored to use for more than 5 days after cooking.Pre-packed cooked diced ham was being used for pizza toppings even though the use by date was 02ndOctober 2017. There was a risk of contamination of foods as evidenced by cooked chicken being stored in a containerwhich also contained raw chicken juiceRaw whole chickens were sitting on top of bags of breaded chicken and bags of chips in the freezer.Dead flies were floating in oil used to baste pizza dough.Cooked rice was on the premises with no date of cooking or use by date.Dirt, mould and encrusted food were found throughout the premises in the kitchen sinks, on the windows, floors, doors and doors of storage units. Food storage containers in the fridge were found covered with black mould. Utensils, cutlery and crockery were not being adequately washed or disinfected as evidenced by food debris and dirt found on all equipment.The HSE Officer said that staff at Saffron were not adequately supervised and instructed and/or trained in foodhygiene matters, as evidenced by the many issues.The full report is available online at www.fsai.ieHuman waste overflowed at Indian takeaway shut by FSAI was last modified: November 8th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:food safetyFSAISaffron creesloughlast_img read more