GARDAI have confirmed that a file has now been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions after the investigation was completed into last year’s horror road crash in Clonmany which left eight people dead.It will be a year next Monday since Ireland’s worst road traffic accident.Seven of the eight young men in a Passat died along with a pensioner driving home from an evening at bingo. The friends who died were James McEleney (23), of Minaduff, Clonmany; Eamon McDaid (22), of Ballymagan, Buncrana and Damien McLaughlin (21), of Umricam, Buncrana.Mark McLaughlin (21) of Ballinahone, Fahan; Paul Doherty (19), of Ardagh, Ballyliffin; Ciaran Sweeney (19), of Ballyliffin; PJ McLaughlin (21), of Rockstown, Burnfoot.Hughie Friel, who was 66, who was driving home to Dunaff, Urris, from the bingo in Buncrana in his Toyota car, was also killed.Gardai have now completed interviews with the sole survivor of the tradegy, though the force is refusing to make further comment.“A full garda investigation file was forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions at the end of June and we are awaiting his directions on the matter,” said Supt Kevin English. CLONMANY ROAD TRAGEDY: FILE SENT TO THE DPP was last modified: July 7th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:car crashclonmany
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Prosecutor Robert Knowles said Tuesday that he took the case Nov. 3, four days before trial, because the original prosecutor, Robert Cheleden, had previously booked a vacation and couldn’t change his plans. So Knowles faced off against Glazier’s high-profile attorney, Robert Shapiro. Cheleden thought the case would begin later than it did, so he bought tickets for his getaway, Knowles said. Cheleden “then discovered to his surprise that there would be this conflict.” Knowles had followed the case as it had progressed, and after learning that Cheleden was going on vacation volunteered to take it. “More time is always better, it’s true,” Knowles said. “But I didn’t feel disadvantaged, primarily because the detective on the case was so good.” Cheleden could not be reached for comment Tuesday because he is out of the office until Nov. 28. Shapiro asked Superior Court Judge Janice Claire Croft to set bail at $50,000 for his client, arguing that Glazier has no prior arrests. But Croft denied the request, agreeing with an earlier judge who denied bail because of the nature of the charges and after hearing from residents who said they felt threatened by Glazier. Shapiro unsuccessfully argued that the judge’s original decision was based on bad evidence. “The things that were heard by the magistrate were things that were later found to be not true,” he said. Before Glazier was led away in handcuffs, the judge set a Jan. 10 date for his retrial. La Crescenta retiree Bob Lewis, 77, who lives across the street from where Glazier used to live, said he is afraid Glazier will retaliate. “We’re so worried about that we’re really considering moving from this neighborhood and maybe out of the state,” Lewis said. Alex Dobuzinskis, (818) 546-3304 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PASADENA – A day after a retired engineer was acquitted of attempted murder in connection with a fire at his neighbor’s home, the prosecutor revealed Tuesday that he had taken over the case just days before trial because the original prosecutor went on vacation. Gary Glazier avoided a possible life sentence after the jury acquitted him of the most serious charges involving a 2004 fire at the La Crescenta home of Alfred Artsvelyan and his family. The same jury deadlocked on charges involving a second fire at the same home, and Glazier will be retried on those allegations. Former neighbors of Glazier breathed a sigh of relief Tuesday after a judge denied him the chance to bail out of jail, where he has stayed since his arrest in May 2004. After Monday’s verdict, one juror said the investigation was incomplete and that there just wasn’t enough evidence offered to convict.